Saturday, November 22, 2008

Gobble Gobble

Last Saturday we had Cooking Club with a twist. Instead of preparing the food as a group, everyone brought over their own favorite Thanksgiving side dish. We also decided that it would be fun to let the men come an join us for a change.
For some silly reason, I offered to cook the turkey. I have heard multiple horror stories of turkeys gone wrong, and who can forget the scene in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, when they go to cut the turkey and it is basically nonexistent, but I decided...what the heck. Although the turkey turned out delicious, there is no way I would have been able to do it with out my mom's help. She coached me (aka- pretty much did most of the dirty work) as I learned how to cook a turkey. Not only was she there when I began to cook it, she answered multiple phone calls, and even did a surprise drop by when she could tell I was getting quite nervous. Thank you mama! Fortunately for everyone, the turkey turned out delicious in the long run, despite my panic!
As I said, everyone brought a dish (some even brought a few) so there was way too much food. We were all super stuffed by the end of the night. I could do little more than sit by the fire pit and laugh at all of the hilarious stories being told. I distinctly remember on about deep frying a Twinkies as well as a snack well cookie (YUCK!). It was wonderful eating, drinking, and talking with everyone. I cannot wait to do it again next year.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

It was a great time! Thanks for hosting and inviting Maddie :)