Tuesday, June 10, 2008

School's Out for Summer!!

Tomorrow is my last day of teaching for this school year! I am so excited to take a break. My goal for this summer is to enjoy summer as I did when I was a kid. This got me thinking... what do I remember enjoying most about summer when I was a kid. Here are a few answers I came up with:

1. My Birthday- My birthday is July 5th. My parents would always throw me the best parties ever! I would get so excited about them that I couldn't sleep the night before and therefore be exhausted for the party. One year, I even fell asleep during my birthday party. My sister opened my presents and blew out my candles!


2. Fourth of July- I don't know what I love the most about this amazing holiday. I am infatuated with every single little detail about it. I love celebrating the honor and freedom of living in our country, watching parades and fireworks, eating cakes that look like American flags, swimming while smelling the bbq; I could go on forever!


3. Swim Team- Although I only vaguely remember this, my mom swears that I wore my swim suit for weeks without taking it off. Apparently I would do everything from shower to sleep in that little thing. Swim team is such a wonderful way for children to spend their summer. I have great memories of friends, practice, and meets on the Walnut Country Stingrays. Goooo Stingrays!


4. Visiting my Gram and PapPap- My mom's parents live in Pennsylvania and we would go to see them every other summer. It was always such a great time. I would play with all of my cousins from sun up to sun down. My grandma is an amazing baker and she would always bake us yummy cinnamon rolls, butter rolls, pies, and just about any other sweet you can think of. After she filled our tummies, we would head down to their pool and spend hours playing Marco Polo. One of my favorite parts were the fireflies; I am still so amazed that their little bums can light up!


5. Sleepovers- As a kid, I always wanted to have sleepover; who didn't? I would beg my mom to spend the night at a friends house. It was always fun to play games, watch movies, and tell jokes or ghost stories with your girlfriends. Unfortunately, more often than not, I would call my parents around 9 and fake a stomach ache because I was too afraid to spend the night. I am such a wimp!
What are your favorite summer memories?


1 comment:

Paris Bucklew said...

I HATED swim team! The only thing I liked about it was getting Fun Dip at the snack bar during meets and wearing pink Zinc on my nose. I was always disqualified for my horrible form. I remember collecting quite a few yellow ribbons (I think 6th place). Glad you have fond memories of it :)